Nothing can be more frustrating than a fast-draining battery. You can experience this issue not only with old laptops but also with brand new ones. Do you still have to face this issue despite investing in a high-end laptop? There can be numerous reasons behind it. Here I have brought to you some of the significant contributors I have personally examined while using various laptop brands.
People opt for laptops because they are easy to carry and don’t need a persistent power supply. If your laptop battery dies too quickly, you will always have to take your charger wherever you go. Do you often ask yourself the question, why is my laptops battery draining so fast? If your answer is yes, then scroll down to find out the reasons behind this issue and how to resolve it.
Why Is My Laptops Battery Draining So Fast?
Every laptop user might have experienced the problem of a fast dying laptop battery. Whether you have an over-used laptop or the latest model, you are likely to come across this problem once in a while. It can exasperate the users by making them incapable of enjoying the freedom of using their laptops anywhere. If you want to work on your laptop, you will always have to search for a power outlet as the battery will drain too quickly. There is not a single reason that can hinder the capability of your laptop’s battery to last longer. Let’s sink into these different reasons.
- One of the most obvious reasons behind a fast-dying battery is that the laptop’s battery is damaged or is worn out. The laptops’ battery tends to lose its efficiency and capability to hold the charge over time. The inconsistent power supply or poor voltage can damage the laptop’s battery. These both reasons can cause your battery to drop too quickly.
- The laptop screen is the most battery-consuming because it uses light energy. If you have a very bright screen, your laptop will consume more energy, leading to a fast-draining battery.
- The laptop’s battery is not only used by the laptop itself but there can also be many other computer devices that can connect with it. These connected devices such as speakers, headphones, and mice can utilize the battery for energy. These devices don’t need to be connected to the laptop through USB ports as even devices such as wireless mice, headsets, and Bluetooth speakers can drain your battery without even you knowing.
- Other than the screen, many different components can use the light. The backlight feature is present in many laptops that increases the load on the battery. Most of the latest laptops do come with a backlight feature.
- The programs that the users are using and the duration for which they run a program can affect the efficiency of the laptop’s battery. If you run any large or multiple programs at a time, it will create pressure on the battery, leading to poor battery life.
- Any laptop’s battery connected to WiFi all day long, even when not needed, tends to drain much more quickly. The wireless connections require a certain amount of battery, so you should be more careful while keeping them on.
- Heavy games can be one of these contributors. Heavy games require more storage, speed, and efficient battery life. Before, you might have experienced that the battery drops within seconds whenever you play a twenty-minute game. These heavy games can make the overall computer system slow.
How Can I Resolve This Problem?
If you know the core reason behind any problem, it is easy to get rid of it. Now, you must know the answer to why my laptop battery dies so fast? So you can efficiently resolve these issues that contribute to quick battery drainage. Don’t know how to fix these issues? It’s a piece of cake. You can make your laptop’s battery last longer with the help of the following methods.
Before fixing the root cause of the poor battery life, you need to identify the one for your laptop. You might have one or more out of these causes. First, examine your laptop while working on it to make sure where the actual problem lies. Once you have identified the reason, you can effortlessly resolve the issue. Keep reading to find out how you can resolve such a problem.
Get A New Battery
If the current battery you are using is the one that is causing the fast-draining charge, then it is time to get rid of the old one. The battery can wear out due to its use over several years. Poor and imbalanced voltage can also damage the charging capabilities. You can easily replace the battery if it is a model with a removable battery. It can be challenging to find the same battery, but you can contact the company for the original parts if it comes with a warranty or get one from the old laptops of the same model.
Change The Brightness of The Display Screen
The display screen indeed consumes a lot of battery charge. The high brightness of the screen can lead to quick battery drainage. It will help if you control the level of brightness of the screen. It damages the battery life of your laptop and can also damage your eyesight. You can set a certain level of brightness or can choose the auto-brightness feature. All you have to do is go to the settings, then set the level of brightness in the display bar.
Get Rid of The Unnecessary Peripheral Devices
As mentioned earlier, all the extra devices you have attached to your laptop use your computer’s battery. If you have connected several unnecessary devices to your computer and they get their energy from it, then you have to remove the ones you no longer need or use. It would be best to disconnect the devices and only plug them in when needed, these devices can be connected with the help of a USB port or Bluetooth.
Checkout Our Guide On: Best Gaming Laptops Under $400
Stop Keyboard Backlight
It does look cool to have colorful keyboard backlights, but it will simply drain your battery. You will not be able to work for a more extended period. If we see the performance and functioning, the keyboard backlights are unnecessary. So, it would help if you went to the settings to turn it off. Just go to the keyboard settings section in your system settings and turn the backlight off.
Unnecessary Programs And Apps
Many useless programs run in the background, take storage, and make the computer slow. You can check these background apps or programs and stop them from processing by selecting the end option given to that program in the task manager. Unwanted apps take storage and make the operating speed of your laptop slow. So it would be best if you got rid of such apps and programs.
Whether using it or not, wireless connections such as WiFi and Bluetooth can drain your battery very quickly, so it is not wise to keep your laptop always connected. You need to take breaks in between. You should turn the connections off when there is no need. This will reduce the extra burden that the laptop has to bear. You have to go to the settings or the control bar, select the connectivity option, and turn it off.
Gaming damages the battery as the heavy games that come with special effects need more power and storage. They require complex and lengthy processing. If you really love to play games, you can spend a lot of time on your laptop, then your battery will be damaged, and the battery will not retain for much longer. It would be best if you uninstalled such heavy Apps. There can be numerous apps that you have no use for. So, you should get rid of them.
Related Guide: How Much Does it Cost to Fix a Laptop Screen?
Frequently Asked Questions
How long should a laptop battery last?
A battery is one of the crucial parts of a laptop. It can last upto several years, depending upon how one uses the laptop. If everything is good, then it can easily last upto four years. The laptops usually come with removable chargers, which can be replaced easily. If you have recently got a laptop, you can happily use it for about 2 years, without worrying about the drainage of the battery.
Why does my laptop battery only last 1 hour?
The duration in which the laptop’s battery drains depends upon what the users are doing and how they have set the settings. If your laptop battery only lasts for one hour, you should decrease the brightness, disconnect when not needed, uninstall the heavy apps. All these little things can contribute to making your laptop battery last only for an hour.
Is it OK to use a laptop while charging?
Yes, it is alright to use a laptop while charging. When you charge your laptop, it is continuously getting electricity. It is assumed that this high voltage will severely damage the battery’s lifespan, but in reality, only this excess amount of electricity goes to the battery. So your battery will not be damaged.
Now, I know why does my laptop battery dies so fast. There are multiple causes and user mistakes that can lead to poor battery life. Once you know the reasons for the fast-draining battery, you can quickly resolve such issues. They are effortless to sort out, and some little changes can make your battery last longer. The long-lasting battery can be a dream come true for users as it gives them the liberty to work anywhere and anytime.
Thanks for the read!
Sadi Emily is fantastic technical review writer who has several years’ experience in content writing. She dedicatedly writes in her free time to provide the users truthful and up-to-date reviews about the tech devices.